Central West End
RESIDENTS ARE DRAWN TO THE AREA FOR THE HISTORIC NATURE AND BEAUTY OF ITS ARCHITECHTURE, WALKABILITY TO SHOPS, RESTAURANTS AND ENTERTAINMENT, ALONG WITH EXCEPTIONAL ACCESSIBILITY TO ANY POINT IN THE METRO AREA.
THE CENTRAL WEST END is coveted for it’s geographic location and beautiful historic homes. Wrapping itself to the north and east of Forest Park, it is famous for the magnificent World’s Fair mansions that inhabit its Private Places and streets. It is also home to trendy boutiques, wonderful restaurants and the acclaimed Barnes and Children’s Hospital complex. Today, New York style condominiums and apartment buildings provide trendy urban housing for those looking for more low-maintenance “city” accommodations.
Forest Park was developed in 1876 and at 1,371 acres it is 450 acres larger than Central Park in NYC! Forest park is two miles long and one mile wide, today it encompasses many of St. Louis’ civic attractions, such as the world famous Zoo, the 12,000 seat Muny Theater, the History Museum, Dwight Davis Tennis Center and the St. Louis Art Museum.
The centennial of the Louisiana Purchases provided the momentum to truly develop the park. Forest Park was chosen as the site for the 1904 World’s Fair and the main hall of the Saint Louis Art Museum was created as a permanent building to be given to the city as a new city museum after the closing of the Fair.
The Central West End (CWE) is bound by Delmar Boulevard to the north, Forest Park and I-64 to the south, Vandeventer to the east and Union Boulevard to its west.
The St. Louis Public Schools district serves residents of Central West End.
The Central West End Association features a weekend of historic home tours every year to benefit the association.
There is an Art and Food Fair each year.
The World Chess Hall of Fame is a nonprofit, collection institution and the only one of its kind. It also offers programming to explore the relationship between art and chess as well as educational outreach initiatives that help provide context and meaning to the game. Founded in 1984, it is run by the United States Chess Trust. Formerly located in New York, Washington D.C. and even Miami … it moved to its current location within the Central West End in the fall of 2011.